10 March, 2011

Happy Ending

Patient:   Hello, I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I've been having 'tightenings' since last night.
Nurse:    This patient appears to be in labour.
Doctor:      She has a urinary tract infection and is also a bit dehydrated. Lets give her some intravenous antibiotics, hydration and some other medicine to see whether the tightenings stop.
...
Patient:   I've had 3 doses of this medicine now and the tightenings aren't getting any easier.
Nurse:   This patient had her first baby at 37 weeks, her labour lasted 2 hours.
Doctor:   Braxton Hicks.
Patient: (pushing)
Doctor:   Braxton Hicks.
Nurse: Let's see if we can't find a midwife!!!
Baby:   Waaaahhh!!

Next day...
Doctor: (smiling and a little sheepish) She wasn't in labour you know!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear!!! Nice work Dr, think you might need an obs refresher course?? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't me!!! (but I did get there in time for the catch!) Sarah.

    ReplyDelete