27 February, 2011

RFDS

Did my first RFDS transfer the other night. We transferred a patient with chest pain (everyone with cardiac related chest pain gets a free flight out of TP). I had worked the early shift and so had a good idea that I was likely to get a call in; the call came at 7.30pm. The hospital was full of patients having anaphylactic reactions and RFDS were detouring to Pannawonica to pick up another chest-pain patient so our chest-pain-guy and me didn't leave TP until 1am!
Before I left Lufuno (night-nurse extraordinaire) briefed me on how pedantic RFDS flight nurses can be and suggested I know everything about my patient to avoid looking like an idiot during handover. I spent my first ambulance ride ever memorising the patient's medical history, ECG changes, vital signs and vital statistics. Hmm, needn't have worried, was met by the most delightful RFDS doc who had, of course, already had a detailed handover from one of our GPs and just asked the (very stable) patient how he was feeling.
Policy dictates that we (me and ambos) stay at the airport until the RFDS plane is airborne. We stood under a spotlight at the gate and I tried to ignore the entomologists fantasy that was occurring all around me (and up my trouser leg!!!). Got back to the hospital at about 3.15am and home soon after, a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment