13 June, 2011

So That's Where I came From

Today Esther has been quizzing Ade on how one "gets" a baby. We have a great book called "So That's Where I Came From". It's a beautifully illustrated, straightforward, age-appropriate, Australian book that covers puberty and the facts of life, IVF, same-sex parents, adoption, fostering, sperm and egg donation, multiple births, different 'sorts' of families, vaginal and Cesarean births...
I have read the book to both our girls; Freya soaks it up, Esther is (currently) more interested in the hairstyles of the anatomically-correct, cartoon ladies. The book is awesome and very frank (my only issue is that it is still predominantly 'white'), however, I must confess to an embarrassed giggle the first time I read it to my girls.
Anyhoo, at the dinner table this evening Esther announces, "You get a baby when you marry someone you love" (nice try Ade). Freya snorts through her baked sweet potato and corrects her younger sister: "You get a baby when the man's penis goes hard and goes into the lady's vagina".
Lou & Ade: (sound of choking on meat and salad).
Time to get the book out again to remind the whole Jonker family how families happen. Yet perfect reminder to self how precious our little unit is :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank God the only questions I have had to answer so far are 'why do cows run mummy' and 'why do kangaroos jump'?? Love L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny Lou !!! I love reading your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. L, failed to adequately explain 'chutney' today, think I might do better at the cow question.
    Lisa, I love you reading our blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hhaahahhaaa oh my god I just spat tea all over the computer! :D that made my day!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to brighten your day, sorry your computer got showered ;)

    ReplyDelete