29 October, 2011

Long to reign over us (*sigh*)

Sweet baby cheeses, Australia is lovin' that the Queen is down under. I have always been a bit 'meh' about the royals* but we do get a public holiday for the Queen's birthday, which is...noice.
This year (in W.A.) the public hol got moved back a bit to coincide with CHOGM. I'm glad Julia got to meet Her Maj, I dig that girl-power but I think Julia's days are numbered...
It seems Liz has received a right royal send-off in Perth, 'fess-up you Perth-ites, who went along to wave??!!
Anyhoo, what are LAFE doing with our long weekend? Well, we went to the pool today and we'll go again tomorrow. We are keen TP pool supporters for a few reasons:
i) It's blinkin' hot up here.
ii) There's no pool in our backyard.
iii) We are a long way from the sea.
iv) Ade is vice-president of the swimming club**.
This weekend also saw Picnic Day 2011; an afternoon/evening of activities, entertainment, food and movies brought to Tom Price by Rio Tinto. 
I gather that the purpose of Picnic Day is to remind residents that they should have no other mining company before Rio Tinto. Word on the street is that this year's Picnic Day was craphouse compared to previous years. The girls enjoyed it...
circus skills
decorating cupcakes
Tug o'war

Captain Quirk's juggling show
Brought to you by our sponsors...




* Confession: in 1996 (or thereabouts) I did see the Queen. She was in a car being driven into the Epsom Downs racecourse on Derby day. Despite my being a bit 'meh' about the royals I got stupidly excited when I saw her and jumped up and down and squealed.
I was appalled at myself.
In my defense I squealed far, far louder when Dame Judi Dench drove past me on a country lane near Redhill a couple of years after my brush with QEII. J'adore Dame Judi.

** The only man on the committee, he thinks it gives him extra rumpy-pumpy value....like I'll sing "Happy Birthday Mr (vice) President" or something. Dream on Ade.

1 comment: