02 November, 2011

There is a light that never goes out

Cute, pink boombox
Esther had a cute, pink boombox so she could listen to her CDs. Her current favourite is Jay Laga'aia's "I Can Play Anything". I also love Jay, his songs are great and he, along with Matt and Rhys, makes Playschool very watchable. Indeed there is much to be happy about in the world of children's TV these days: Jimmy Giggle, Steve Backshall... c'mon, I know you know what I'm talking about!
I digress...
I bought the cute, pink boombox a few years ago so it also had a cassette deck which was awesome because we inherited a heap of story and music tapes from my Canberra cousins (they are likely to be unique among their Gen Y peers in their ability to recognise an audio cassette). Anyhoo, the CD part of the cute, pink boombox packed up and Esther was missing Jay at bedtime so I had to find a replacement. I failed. It transpires that one can not buy a boombox that plays cassettes these days (why did that surprise me?!). So she has a CD/iPod boombox (still pink!) for her bedroom and the cute, pink tape-deck has moved to the kitchen. Which is where I was yesterday...
I was rolling sushi, washing up, baking (my Melbourne Cup lunch got cancelled last minute, what's a girl to do?!)...I needed a soundtrack so I dug out my box of tapes! What's left are the mix-tapes, made for me by dear friends, old boyfriends and first love. The playlists are handwritten and annotated, they have cut and paste front covers and names like "music for dishwashers" and "Spamella Anderson". They contain the songs of my university years and some from the subsequent 90s. Nostalgic? Much!

My sentimental reverie was interrupted this morning when I found a note from Ade on the kitchen bench:
Hi hon,
Can you please give our room a good spray today.
I saw a huge huntsman twice last night but didn't manage to squash him.
Love you xxxx
WTF??!! Didn't manage to squash it? Allowed me to sleep in a room with an enormous arachnid? I am too scared to go back into my bedroom. Adrian, this does not constitute a 'love letter', you need to show me some love with a mix-tape please!

In other news: we've had our first electrical storm of the season and it's raining!
Strange grey shapes in the sky that deposit water

3 comments:

  1. tell me the sun came out after the storm! M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good God, even I'm alarmed reading Ade's note, and I'm several hundred kilometers away from the huge Huntsman! Tell Max to buck his ideas's up and get in tune with his feline instincts of killing things...ie large, hairy, spiders! Lizzie xx PS There is also a light that never goes out in this house...literally....but for very different reasons! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie, I'm pretty sure the light in your house goes out, comes back on, goes out again, and so on... :) The girls are stoked with their advent calendar, it's gorgeous. Miss you all very muchly xxx

    ReplyDelete